Tuesday 2 August 2011

Langdale and stuff ..

   Above is the view from one side of our tent up towards the hills, I have to say the Cumbria is totally beautiful every corner another breathtaking view. We were very lucky with the weather I know but I do think that even in rain it is beautiful. I spent most of my time clicking away at the camera at the amazing views that kept appearing before us. I wont bore everyone with all of the pictures .. not yet anyway ...
    I would like to start with a review of the campsite we stayed at, It was a National Trust kept campsite in Great Langdale. Great Langdale is almost like a 'natural' cul-de-sac the campsite is nestled in a plethora of heights and views. It is surrounded with accessible walks for the novice to the experienced walker and is slap bang in between two pubs .. the later of which was more used by us this time as Roo was just too young for his back pack and we didn't find the 'walks for all-terrain buggies' book till the day before we left.
     When you arrive at the entrance to the campsite there is a board which basically says arrival times are between 3 and 7pm. As we arrived at 1pm we were slightly miffed so I sent hubby to the reception to check, basically I needed food (the topping up from the 'in-laws' was wearing down). We were so pleased we asked  as we were immediately booked in and told to find a spot in the field the chap pointed at. I must add here that these campsites can be booked in advance but we like the thrill of adventure (apparently). Apart from the misleading sign the campsite was absolutely immaculate. Showers and toilets and wash up area were spotless, there was a large recycling area ( I always hate when these aren't provided) and people were generally very nice. The icing on the cake was the freshly baked bread and croissants available every morning in the shop, again with the food, I know... I will never have those hip bones if i carry on this way! The shop was great too as it helped with our lack of cool box facility ...
   I would love to go back with a back pack next time and walk some more. I felt eternally guilty every time we jumped in the car to go day tripping whilst all the other intrepid walkers and their families were planing their yomps and packing their maps. All in all a damn good campsite, if anyone is heading that way they should definitely stay there. More to come on this later .. I hear a Roo!!
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-global/w-localtoyou/w-northwest/w-lakedistrict-feature/w-northwest-lakedistrict_camping/w-northwest-lakedistrict_camping-langdale.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment