Thursday 8 September 2011

Testing the fruit ...

   For those of you that know me personally, Roo has been eating fruit and vegetables that I have made for a couple of weeks, I have basically gone with my instincts re weaning as I did with the others. However after reading some of the bumpf I have been handed and sent from various angles I have decided that I will take a look at some of the advice and test some of the pre-packaged food that we have all been sent through the post by various companies and see how they live up to their claims. This of course is only the opinion of one 'rather old' mum and one 'jolly gorgeous' baby.
    I would like to just add here that I have not been paid in any way for this I just think it may be valuable to other mums starting on the weaning journey. It may however of course never be read and be no help whatsoever =0).



    Here is today's offering this i recieved through the post from Hipp Organic a few weeks ago with some vouchers no doubt but I can't be sure as I never manage to redeem he things in time" (am I the only one??).

Pro's

  • He ate it
  • the packaging is handy (if not fully recyclable)
  • texture was good
Con's
  •  it smelled of nothing
  •  it tasted of nothing 
  •  the colour was awful
   I do realise that packaging and mass producing food like this causes its own problems but I really feel at least with this product that no one actually thought to try the taste of it. I am really grateful that it is all organic and 100% fruit but what happened to the flavour? I am a cook and create and use puree's for all sorts of recipes ( see fruit leather), so i am well aware of how to keep and adjust flavour and colour. It is totally doable!
     Also in my opinion the packaging should by now be fully EASILY recyclable. I added the 'easily' because most of us now have recycling solutions close by, in my case on my doorstep with a selection of bin's and boxes. Surely by now there are recyclable options available, rightly or wrongly I always think that this should be in the front of more companies minds especially those that have gone through the bother of sourcing 'organic' produce. Mind you I guess I could be barking up the wrong tree there of course all food however and wherever it is grown is organic! Anyway back in my box for now =0)

No comments:

Post a Comment